Re: Tom M fan clutches and my slipping tranny in the TA.

jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:

>      Tom!  Make sure you put a flex fan on the fixed cross hub, OR a clutch
>      with the factory fan blades.  The factory blades are far too heavy to
>      be run with a rigid setup.  I have been running mine like this
>      (remember) BUT, I'm just waiting to have the water pump fail due to
>      overloads.  Thus I am trying to machine the thread on adapter to allow
>      a flex fan on a threaded water pump.

OK, I'm confused now... how many different water pump and fan assemblies
*ARE THERE*?

My '72 304v8, my '77 196-4, and my '77 345-V8.. ALL THREE came to me
(the '72 factory original) with the "cross" spacer and a rigid fan.  I
have a 4-blade, 5-blade and 6-blade (I think that's right) fan in my
collection.

On the '72, that's how it left the factory.  Yeah, it ROARS when you get
the motor revved up... under the hood adjusting the accelerator pump, I
can't hear the exhaust from the dual Turbos, that's for sure!

FAIK, the waterpump has lasted 27years and 65k miles.  I should check my
records to see if it might've been changed before I bought it...

So... are there 3 fan assemblies?  This stupid '74 I drug home is
confusing.. with it's Big-Nut clutch fan.. everything has to be
different.. arghh.. :-)

>      ANOTHER LOAD OF SAND IN THE PAN.  Still getting this out from the trip
>      in early November!  The filter was totally clogged with river silt
>      from that trip over two months ago!  Two filters and two loads of
>      tranny and let's hope it runs ok now for a while longer.  Everyone
>      should get the 1995 Chevy s10 pickup transmission dipstick with the
>      flip lock.  This totally seals the dipstick tube with an expandable

Sounds like YOU need to put the elbow and breather Landry clued us all
in on this morning... guess what' I'm doing to the 727 on my shop floor
now.. :-)

-Tom