Fuel Problem Update(longish)

Hello All,
I just wanted to thank everyone for giving me (a novice mechanic) so much
good information on things I should check on my 77 Scout II with a 345 cu.
in. engine...in regards to it not getting enough fuel and fuel pump failing.
I replaced the fuel pump and I placed a filter before the pump this time. I
also got my Scout Service manual from Binders (?). I was having problems
getting to the bolts of the fuel pump at first b/c the water pipe was in the
way whenever I attacked it from above. So I went under the truck and used a
couple of extensions to get at it. Messy job...crap falling in your eyes,
hair, ears, and all. Once replaced, I started it up (had to pour some gas
into the carb), and it ran for about 20 minutes (I left it idling) and then
it died. It still had fuel in the tank. So now I am thinking a couple of
things (I didn't check the new filter before the pump). It is either porous
fuel lines, junk in the tank (clogged filter screen in tank), or it died b/c
of a dirty...gunked up carb. So I am just going to fix all of the above for
a long-term solution. I dropped the tank (I think it is 17-19 gallons single
tank), and I have inspected the fuel lines (they are definitely porous and
cracked a little). When I dropped the tank I tried my best not to break
these two long bolts that are angled at the top (which hang onto the frame I
believe) and secure the two straps strapping in the tank. I doused them in
WD40, but they still broke and were totally rusted. So where can I get some
new bolts like this? I also dumped out all the old gas and took the tank
over to a car wash and pressure washed the inside and outside of the tank. I
didn't see any rust inside the tank, but the outside had a little on the
bottom side (is there a rust protector for this?). I've noticed that this
fuel tank filter screen looks bonded to the fuel line somehow. Are these
screens replaceable or do I have to purchase the entire assembly with the
fuel metering device and all? My next step after I take care of the tank and
lines is to clean and rebuild the carb. It also took me a while to find out
how to get at the fuel emissions stuff hidden in the right rear quarter
panel. I almost took off the quarter panel, but then somehow I found the
little access panel hidden inside the scout behind the spare tire mount.
Those IH guys were pretty smart to include this, but I think the service
manual should have pointed out how to get to this (I could have missed it
somewhere...damn thing is the size of a New York City phonebook).
Thanks Everyone!
-Mack
p.s. Even though my girlfriend didn't let me work on the scout on New Years
eve, she did roll under the truck several times to help in dropping the tank
(even with crap falling into her hair).