Re: lifts

"Robert N. Deruy" wrote:

> The lift FAQ on the Binder Bulletin says that to run 35" tires I need a 4"
> suspension lift, a 1" body lift and some "minor" fender trimming.
>
> Q? Can I put on a 2" or 3" body lift and not trim the fenders? Note that I
> intend to run 35x12.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler MTs, which are the shortest 35"
> tires known to man.

here's my $0.02 from what I know...

A 4" lift won't fit 33s without lowering the bump stops.. a bunch.

I've trimmed what can safely be trimmed (from the back side of the rear
wheel well, which is my biggest problem area), and I'm still rubbing
badly.  A 1" or 2" body lift would clear it up.. plan is tentatively a
1" body lift then I'll lower the bump stops.

I'm running 33s!  roughly 31" loaded.. real rough.. I just stood the
tape measure up and glanced..

My tires tuck inside the fender lip.. so that's not my rub.  It's the
front/back dimension that's the problem.. in the rear on the back side
of the wheel well and in the front on the front side - the bottom corner
& lip of the front fenders.

OTOH, a 3" body lift fits 33s fine I'm told.

If I were you, I'd try the 3" body lift and a good 4" suspension lift.

See how flexy you want it and how much articulation you're willing to
sacrifice so you don't cut sheet metal.  Lower the bump stops.

But, the biggest problem for me is in the rear in the wheel well.. and
you can trim enough to make a difference without TRIMMING.. you can't
tell I cut my wheel wells without putting your head inside and looking.
It's not like ripping the fender lip apart.  This'd be a function of
back spacing though... but with a body lift, you could use less
backspacing and still have the wide 35x12.50s tuck.

Up front you'll at least *want* to "fold" the "L" shaped outer fender
lip into a "V" just for tire safety... I was pushing hard into a hill,
moving the shackles forward, and then turning, and I put slices in the
side of my tire from the front fender.  I just "notched" the bottom of
the "L" at a few points, starting from foremost point of the inner &
outer fenders being together and then working my way around the front
lip.  Just a few cuts, then bend it into a "V" to keep the sharp edges
from the tires.

Or... cut out the stock rear wheel wells and "tub it" and you could fit
35s on a stuck suspension! :-)

-Tom