Re: converting a 304 to 4 bbl

Vinnie Moscaritolo wrote:

> my next project on little Scout  (1980 Scout II,with retrofitted 304) is
> converting the 2bbl stock carb to something better.
> So I was thinking about replacing the intake manifold with the proper unit(
> who makes it, Edelbrock?)  and changing the carb to a 4 bbl (so I can burn
> even more gas)..  I am curious if anyone has done such an operation to a
> 304 and what parts did you use?  (which manifold do I need to get?, which
> carb?)  any gotchas?

No factory 4bbl was offered with the 304.. you have to buy a specially
modified manifold from GUS or SSS to the tune of $300 to $350 if I
remember correctly.  Then add a new 4bbl carb to that.

Also recall that a 304 doesn't need even 350cfm at the factory redline
at 100% efficiency... so the stock 350cfm is overkill as it is.. ;-)

I think a 400cfm square-bore 4bbl would be nice though...

For my money, I'd go a little more and buy the Holley ProJection, and
have my 2bbl intake machined to accept the ProJection, and just skip
carbs altogether and head straight for fuel injection...

That's my plan, anyhow.. though maybe I'll find a 392 before then.. in
which case, I'll modify a 2bbl 392 manifold for the same purposes.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout