Re: Most dangerous braking situation...

Doug,

Braking theory used to be discussed a lot in the car mags back in the
60's before everything got disc brakes.  I even used to pay an insurance
penalty for a "high performance" option on my '70 Mustang.

Basically, any wheel that is sliding is *not* providing an directional
stabiltiy.  Front or rear, don't matter.  You can't steer with a sliding
front wheel.  I will cheerfully bet my life on this statement, I am
serious.  Go out and try it on ice so you're not going fast enough to
kill yourself.

The reason that brakes should be biased to get front lockup first is
that the vehicle then slides straight ahead.  It doesn't make any ballet
moves which involve other vehicles.  Plus, if you run into anything,
head on is the best way to take it.  You have a better chance of
survival than hitting sideways.  The chances of hitting backwards is
nil.  It's always sideways or close to it.

Also, if you lock the fronts and slide you lose steering control while
the wheels are sliding.  But.. when you get off the brake you
immediately have steering again and are pointed in a direction which
will allow you to do something with the steering.  If you're going
backwards, or sideways when you let off the pedal it will be a lot
longer before you can do any useful driving.  Most folks don't know how
to get a backwards or sideways sliding vehicle pointed forwards again
and in any case it takes some real estate.

I'm done.

Steve