Re: Most dangerous braking situation...

Steven Stegmann wrote:

> will allow you to do something with the steering.  If you're going
> backwards, or sideways when you let off the pedal it will be a lot
> longer before you can do any useful driving.  Most folks don't know how
> to get a backwards or sideways sliding vehicle pointed forwards again
> and in any case it takes some real estate.

Well, from experience... first you turn into or against the spin.. that
is, as your rear end comes around to your left, turn the wheel left..
but once you go past 90deg to the direction you *want* to travel and
start going farther.. I'd say around 110deg is the point of no return...
crank the wheel *with* the skid (or, in the same clockwise spin, turn
the wheel to the right) and make the spin *faster* and do the full 360
and just keep it straight when you come back around the way you want to
be heading.

BTDT.. gotta love ice.

That's also the same maneuver my friend's son uses when driving his
Dad's '79 Big Bronco with 36s and a rear Detroit on bad roads.. he said
it's just easier to go all the way around than fight the Detroit once it
decides it's going around... of course, a 17 or 18yr old with a BBronco
with a 460 and C6 doesn't help the situation either...

-Tom