Re: Scout II newbie needs help (longish)

Mack,

You should be able to replace a fuel pump yourself.  It is a good
learning project.

The fuel pump is awkward, even though you can easily see it from the
bottom.  Seems to me a socket set makes the difference.

You can get the pump at any autoparts.  Same thing fits a Ford or Chebby
of similar vintage.

If you want to get into this, get yourself a 3/8 inch drive socket set.
This will be sufficient for most jobs.  You'll need a couple extensions
and maybe a universal joint.  You will use this much more than wrenches.
No need to spend a zillion $$ on this stuff.  But,  I would strongly
recommend Sears Craftsman.  Not too expensive and the **best** warrantee
anywhere.  They really don't care how you broke it.  As time passes you
will buy many more tools but the 3/8 socket set is the most used tool in
my collection.  Only use open end wrenches if the sockets won't fit.
Open end wrenches are notorious for rounding off bolts.

Why would the second pump fail?  Well,  since your mechanics mentioned
debris in the fuel, sounds like you have a rusty tank.  Bigger project
maybe later.  If there's debris in the fuel this could kill the second
pump.  Install a filter between the tank and the pump, replace the pump,
and you should be back in business.  BTW when you disconnect the fuel
line and crank the engine it should really shoot out a solid stream of
gas.  Next time the fuel disappears probably the filter on the tank side
of the pump will be clogged.