Ignition problems, too

I appear to be having the same type problems as Mr. Shaw.  My 1971 Scout
II, 304 Auto will start sometimes other times the dash lights will come
on but when you go to start the lights go out and the ampmeter pegs on
discharge, the starter does nothing, no clicking solinoids, etc. At
times when the starter engages it will hang up and keep cranking.
Solinoid is "new" with only about a month of actual use. After the
engine does start, starter works fine until it sits a day or two and
then we start all over again. I,m open to suggestions!

Stephen A. Jaquish
sjaquish@domain.elided
Member International Webmasters Association
1971 Scout II  304  auto
Moderate rust(I can't see the road through the floor)