Re: running with 1 hub engaged

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998 17:49:05 -0800 "Allan Weidenheimer"
<allanw@domain.elided> writes:
>I could be wrong, but I doubt running with one hub locked is a
>good idea.  It seems to me that you will be turning the 'pinion
>mate gears' or as I call them, spider gears, in the carrier,
>constantly.  Much the same as if you run a bigger tire on
>one side than the other, with both hubs locked.  The spider
>gears are only built to turn when you go around corners,
>allowing 'differential' action.  So, it may be fine to try
>and see what happens to handling, but be sure to unlock
>the hub when you are done with the test.

I'd agree that running with one locked isn't something I'd do
intentionally, but I don't think that alone would cause handling the
problems that were suggested.  Years ago, I made a 250 mile trip to the
dunes in Michigan and when I went to lock my hubs, one was already locked
and there had been no indications at all that anything was wrong.  And
this was on an 800A, which in my experience was more sensitive to
anything out of order in the front than my Scout II's.  There also was no
sign of internal damage that showed up as long as I had the Scout.  I
hoped that the spider gears were up to a lot of spinning with no load
applied.  I suspect that the other shaft would spin backwards rather than
turning the ring and pinion, driveline, and transfer case output gear.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]