running with 1 hub engaged

I could be wrong, but I doubt running with one hub locked is a
good idea.  It seems to me that you will be turning the 'pinion
mate gears' or as I call them, spider gears, in the carrier,
constantly.  Much the same as if you run a bigger tire on
one side than the other, with both hubs locked.  The spider
gears are only built to turn when you go around corners,
allowing 'differential' action.  So, it may be fine to try
and see what happens to handling, but be sure to unlock
the hub when you are done with the test.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup