Re: Axle twisting.

Rob Marks wrote:

> Jim's jig is overkill, I agree.  I have made a smaller jig that does one
> side at a time.  Once welds are ground out, the axle can be twisted with
> a 2 ton jack with a 4' long moment arm.  I have only done one front
> axle, but I believe it will hold up for many more.  But after doing only
> one, I know this is the way to go.
>
> Rob  Marks,  NW Binders

Rob,
How difficult was it for you to grind out the welds? Jim Maulis told me he
bought some high dollar industrial cutter (not plasma) and can now burn them
out in 5 minutes.
I think Jim Weed (first guy to grind and twist?) said you could probably get
by without a jig at all...just use a large hammer to spin the yoke on the
tube.
The biggest fear I have is maintaining the alignment of the yokes. Of
course, you would want your caster angles to match between the two sides,
and you don't want the camber angle to change.
If the yokes were just tack welded maybe an alignment shop could check it
out first. Or buy one of those home alignment tools...J.C. Whitney has them
for around $75.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs