Re: Warped Hub/Rotor Assembly

"John A. Landry" wrote:

> Of course I don't know what causes the warping of the Scout II hubs, but
> this sounds like a perfect application for cryogenic treatment.  If I ever
> buy new hubs, I'll definitely have them cryo treated before their first
> use... probably new rotors too.
>
> Regards,
>
> John L.

The possibilities I can think of are bending during assembly, or
warping/bending from side loads and high heat during use. Taking into
consideration the leverage and weight of my 33x12.50's the Warn Hubs become
really attractive. Although, I really don't know that the Warn hubs are
actually any stronger in this regard. Just assuming.

The Warn hubs are the internal style similar to what the Big 3 uses. The
internal style is by all accounts much stronger, and you don't have to worry
about the lockout mounting bolts coming lose.

However, I'm concerned about those baby stub-shafts on the Scout Dana 44. If
you've ever compared the Scout outer axle shafts with the other brands you
know what I'm talking about. I'm thinking that I would much rather have the
lockout hub as the weak link, and not the stub-shaft. It's easier to replace a
lockout hub then an axle shaft.

It all becomes so much more complicated (read expensive) when you throw in the
stress of large tires and Detroit lockers.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs