Re: Trac-lok, why not as good as Power0lok?

On Sat, 26 Dec 1998 18:06:08 -0800 "Allan Weidenheimer"
<allanw@domain.elided> writes:
>John L. Said:
>>"The multiple disc clutches with radial grooves on the plates and
concentric
>>grooves on the discs are engaged by a preload from Belleville springs
PLUS
>>SEPARATING FORCES FROM THE SIDE GEARS AS TORQUE IS APPLIED >>THROUGH
THE RING GEAR."  [Caps are my emphasis.]

>So, as the clutch packs wear, the mesh between the side gears and the
>pinion mate gear gets to be less.  At some point, possibly when pulling
a trailer or
>other high torque event, you apply too much torque to the top of the
teeth on the side
>gear and pinion mate gear.  Teeth break off.  Axle goes "buzz" among
other noises.
>Perhaps this is the reason for the general disdain for the Trac-lok?
>
>Now, on the Power-lok, I'm not positive, but I'll look later to see if
it
>makes any claim about the side gears moving out, away from pinion mate
gears.  I >don't think it does, as it uses that camming action instead.

My instinctive feeling about this is that you'd have to completely wear
away the clutch disks and plates before you'd get enough gear
disengagement to significantly weaken the gear engagement--true, any
movement isn't good, but I don't think the actual movement is that great.
 And even in a open diff, you'd have the same forces trying to separate
the gears.  It would just depend upon the amount of movement the two
cases allow to actually occur.

But I would argue that any movement would be GREATER in a Power-Lok
because the "camming action" actually moves the pinion cross shaft out
toward the side gear, which would disengage the pinion mate gears from
the opposite side.  There is some compensation for this in that there are
4 pinion mate gears rather than 2 to spread the load.

I always felt the disdain for the Track-Lok was mostly that it was only a
little better than an open diff, not that it was weak otherwise.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]