Trac-lok, why not as good as Power0lok?

John L. Said:
>"The multiple disc clutches with radial grooves on the plates and
concentric
>grooves on the discs are engaged by a preload from Belleville springs PLUS
>SEPARATING FORCES FROM THE SIDE GEARS AS TORQUE IS APPLIED THROUGH THE
RING
>GEAR."  [Caps are my emphasis.]

So, as the clutch packs wear, the mesh between the side gears and the
pinion mate gear
gets to be less.  At some point, possibly when pulling a trailer or other
high torque
event, you apply too much torque to the top of the teeth on the side gear
and pinion
mate gear.  Teeth break off.  Axle goes "buzz" among other noises.  Perhaps
this
is the reason for the general disdain for the Trac-lok?

Now, on the Power-lok, I'm not positive, but I'll look later to see if it
makes any claim
about the side gears moving out, away from pinion mate gears.  I don't
think it does,
as it uses that camming action instead.

John, I think you should consider getting those trac-loks looked at before
doing
extensive trailer pulling next summer...at least the rear one...
I think excessive bearing play (due to corrosion on the rollers) in my rear
axle
resulted in the ring gear and pinion not having enough engagement, or
'mesh'.
I ended up breaking a few teeth off before I found the problem.

Allan Weidenheimer