Re: No thermostat

jbade@domain.elided wrote:

> Joel,
>
> The thermostat is even more important in hot weather like your talking.
> Just like a thermostat keeps coolant in the engine when it's cold (keeping
> the engine at proper temperature and providing for heat),
> It also keeps coolant in the radiator so it has a chance to cool.
> When you run an engine without a thermostat, the coolant never stays in the
> radiator long enough to cool down.  Thus running hot.
> I'm not saying your motor is going to blow up or anything..
> It's just not a good idea.
>
> Jeff Bade
> Chicago, IL
> 1980 Scout ][, 304, TF727, D300, 3" Body lift, 4" Spring lift,
> 33x12.5xr15 tires, 4 wheel disk, SS][ converted

Jeff,
I've seen this same statement printed in magazines a million times and always
wondered about it because of all the people I knew who ran without a thermostat
in the summer. Lately the magazines have been calling this a myth, saying that
the waterpump can't flow enough water fast enough to make this possible. I do
know that if you have a large enough radiator, a good fan, and a properly
running engine you don't need to worry about taking out the thermostat.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs