Re: No thermostat

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:24:45 -0600 jbade@domain.elided writes:
>Joel,
>
>The thermostat is even more important in hot weather like your talking.
>Just like a thermostat keeps coolant in the engine when it's cold
(keeping
>the engine at proper temperature and providing for heat),
>It also keeps coolant in the radiator so it has a chance to cool.
>When you run an engine without a thermostat, the coolant never stays in
the
>radiator long enough to cool down.  Thus running hot.
>I'm not saying your motor is going to blow up or anything..
>It's just not a good idea.

I've heard the same, although I have some questions as to why you
wouldn't extract the same amount of heat from the water in a minute,
whether you flow 40 gallons and drop it 10 degrees or 80 gallons and drop
it 5 degrees.  Incidentally, did you realize that a typical coolant
temperature drop across a radiator is only 10 degrees?  It surprised me
when I learned that.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]