Re: Heater Core Removal

"John A. Landry" wrote:
> Sometime this past year I removed the heater and heater core form my 77
> parts Traveler, and while I don't recall any longer what the exact
> procedure was, I seem to remember it being a rather simple affair.  I'm
> pretty sure all you need do is disconnect the heater hoses (have bucket
> ready to catch gushing coolant), unbolt the front cover on the heater box
> and withdraw the core.

That's what I figured... it sure looked like a simple affair! :)

> You're going to be pretty surprised at all the crap you find stuck to the
> heater core!  Flushing it should be a snap.  If you have a utility room
> sink, simply run very hot water through the upper core outlet (if you have
> the heater hoses hooked up correctly, this is the outlet) to reverse flush
> the core.

That was the plan.. probably kitchen sink tho', since I'm lacking a
utility room..

OTOH, with Harais' comments on having it chemically flushed...

I do have the heater core in the '72 still.. which was flushed not long
before it was parked.. I could remove it from the '72, maybe do the low
pressure back-flow in the kitchen sink for good measure, and then put it
into the '77.  Then take the '77's in for a good flush to be put into
the "spare parts/for the resto" pile... hmmm

Or, just yank it from the '77 and bypass the heater for a day.. not like
the heater does much between home and the office...

I think this is the issue though.  This same motor in the '72 w/ the
flushed core would put blisters on your toes.. and the heater in the '77
has never been super-hot.. which, like I said, reminded me of when the
'72's needed flushed.. it was making NO heat when that time arrived.

BTW, on TechTalk there were folks talking of $25 new cores from Peop
Boys.. so I called around to see what a new core would be.. heck, for
$25 I'll just buy a new one and swap a new one in after work and then
worry about cleaning up the new spare...

Well, not in Montana.  Special Order item (week or so?), with prices
ranging from $50 to $80... when I tell them I'm told Pep Boys (none in
MT) has 'em for $25 the response is, "Not for an International though!"
to which I reply "Oh yeah, for a Scout II!".. seems they don't want to
believe it..

Interesting thing came about.. I was (of course) asked "what motor?" ..
I didn't know what they really wanted to know... 'Originally a 304..
then a 196.. now a 304 again.. I don't know what it matters, it had the
same heater core the whole time...'

I didn't ask if there was a difference between the two.. but one place
told me they found TWO heater cores that matched '77 Scout II.. one is
1/4" taller than the other.  I had no idea there was ANY difference..
I've heard the 1980 had a better heater system.. though I can't remember
if it was a better fan or a better core..

Thanks!

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
I'm thinking using mom's Pontiac's radiator & electric fan as a big
heater isn't such a bad idea...