Re: Help with Pickup Purchase Thoughts

Terry Traver wrote:

> Fellow Digesters,
>
> I need to ask for your guidance. I have found a '68 3/4 ton Crewcab
>
> pickup that I am looking at buying. What I need help with is things that
>
> I should watch for which might make it not a great deal.
>
> It is 1968 Pickup, 345 2bbl, auto, 2wd. Body looks good and straight.
>
> Very little obvious rust. I have not yet seen engine or heard it run.
>
> My initial concerns are around the large 6 bolt lug nut pattern and the
>
> fact that it currently has split rims on it.
>
> Do you have any thoughts on other things I should be concerned about or
>
> look carefully at ? I would also appreciate your thoughts on a fair
>
> price range for the truck.
>
> I am kind of curious about this truck since my wife saw it and seems to
>
> be interested in getting it. This could be a major step.
>
> Please let me know your thoughts quickly. Off line responses are OK.
>
> Thanks, Terry

Terry-

Where in the heck are you located?  I have been dying for one of these
forever!  Of course, I say that about everything, but this is way on the
top of my list!  I want a 60's Crewcab, a '60's style Scout, and a '60's
T'all.  All of the other things are cool, but this is the collection I
want.  Anyway, good luck.  As you can see, there is a thread on the
split rims right now.  These are the only real concern with this
vehicle.  I have a '68 T'all with a 345 and 4WD, and it has always been
very reliable.  A lot of things would dictate price that are hard to
determine.  I never buy anything unless I get a great deal-that way if
anything goes wrong I can afford to fix it and still not feel like an
idiot.  I got my '68 T'all for $900.00 and it only had 83K on it.  This
was about six years ago now, but even then it was a pretty good deal, as
it was VERY solid.  There is a Crewcab on the Binderbulletin classifieds
right now that the guy is asking $1000.00 for.  It is 4X4 and was a
forest service vehicle, but has supposedly been sitting in a field for
seven years or something and has some rust in it.  If one was rust free,
I would pay $1000.00 for one, if it were complete.  If it had decent
paint I would pay a bit more, perhaps.  If it actually looked nice and
needed very little for restoration, prices can go as high as the truck
is worth to you.
I am actually going to look at one this week that is supposed to look
okay at a scrap yard that is complete but hasn't run in a few years.
Don't know about a price yet.  Anyway, let me know where you are and
I'll let you know if I find anything interesting that I am not going
for.  Let me know what yours is like in more detail.

Thanks!

Michael