Re: Split Rims

> Very carefully on the remount. Essentially, you "unmount" the rim by
> deflating the tire and then prying one end of the retainer out and up and
> just keep working it around until it comes off. To put back on, start one
> end and with a mallet keep working around until it pops into place. When
> you go to inflate, that rim can pop off if it wasn't seated properly so
> truck shops inflate them in a cage. I inflated mine by using a long
> barreled chuck on my air filler and pointing the
use a clip on chuck, and stand away from the tire, never in front of or behind it, and make sure that it's in a cage.

retainer side of the
> tire away from me. I often thought, but never did it, that laying another
> tire on top of the retainer would asorb the energy of it coming off.
> John Hofstetter

The school I was going to (just completed) had a safety video where they show a split rim with a VW bug resting on it blow up.  lifted the bug a good 10 feet.

Joe