fuel system help

help!

well actually, I just need a simple question answered.  I'm gonna be buying a scout, hopefully in the next few days, and was up checking it a couple days ago.  I want to make sure it'll run before I hand over those pictures Ben Franklin I admire so much, or at least require minimal work to get it mechannically sound.

anyways, when I was working on it, making sure it was ok, I was able to get it to try to start, and if I sprayed the carb for a few seconds with ether, it would catch then die (succeeded twice).

noting that this truck has been sitting for 3 years, in wich order would the fuel system be most likely to go out, for these parts: 1) Carb 2) filter 3) pump 4) lines?

also, I can clean the carb and replace the pump and filter, but is there anything I can use to clean the tank and lines?