Re: Split Rims

     Howdy all,

     Being new to the digest for several weeks, I have lurked and gained an
     education at the same time.  But split rims can kill.

     With the thread concerning Split Rims, I had a second cousin that was
     killed about 15 years ago when he was changing a tire he had remounted
     with a split rim.  The Tire was not mounted properly on the rim, but
     he and his work crew saw no problems with it.  He ran his own earth
     moving construction company and did all of his own maintenance on all
     the equipment including changing tires on rims.  He had been doing
     this for years.

     As he was bolting the lugs on the new tire, the rim blew out and
     caught him on the chest and chin.  Broke his neck and crushed his
     ribs.  Died instantly.  Left a wife and two children under three.

     Since then I have been very careful around anyone working with split
     rims.

     Clarence