Re: Whining

--

>John Hofstetter wrote:
>> bottom, much as would the covers of a book. OK now, the hood on my Scout
>> could hold a whole lot of crap and then simply come back down into place
>> bringing all its special stuff with it. Miss the battery and the air
>> cleaner cover, and I could attach a lot of stuff to that hood. If I used
>> an Optima battery, I could mount my extra battery to that hood. Where
>> will I put the hydraulic pump to lift the hood up?
< snip>
Why don't you pick up a set of used convertible rams with the hydraulic
hoses,plumb them into the power steering pump using a good quality 3 way
valve. Set the bottoms of the rams into clevis pins and yokes mounted into
easily fabricated brackets hanging from the
inner fender and core support (for ease of adjustment) or directly off of
the frame depending on the throw of the ram.
Then make an inner support on 3 sides of the hood for support with a yoke
set up for the ram tops,angle measurement would be very simple
and only dependent on max. throw.
Mount your 3 way valve inside next to the drivers seat,with your hoses
either run under the vehicle or through the firewall.
As for tapping off of the power steering pump,i used a Cadillac  pump which
has more pressure,very easy to have a tee made by any auto
parts store that carries Weatherhead hydraulic accessories.
I have done this setup on a 1975 Datsun p/u that we converted to 4x4
status,with a small block chev,all Scout running gear,and a complete one
piece tilt front end made from the original metal parts. We had 44 " Cepecks
on this rig.
The rams i would recommend using on something like this would be early 60's
Chrysler full size,as they seem to have a lot of lift and last
a long time.I rebuilt mine before installing them and only cost around
$30.00 for the kits.
Dennis