Re: Whining

Dennis,

<<Why don't you pick up a set of used convertible rams with the hydraulic

hoses,plumb them into the power steering pump using a good quality 3 way

valve. Set the bottoms of the rams into clevis pins and yokes mounted into

easily fabricated brackets hanging from the

inner fender and core support (for ease of adjustment) or directly off of

the frame depending on the throw of the ram.

Then make an inner support on 3 sides of the hood for support with a yoke

set up for the ram tops,angle measurement would be very simple

and only dependent on max. throw.

Mount your 3 way valve inside next to the drivers seat,with your hoses

either run under the vehicle or through the firewall.

As for tapping off of the power steering pump,i used a Cadillac  pump which

has more pressure,very easy to have a tee made by any auto

parts store that carries Weatherhead hydraulic accessories.

I have done this setup on a 1975 Datsun p/u that we converted to 4x4

status,with a small block chev,all Scout running gear,and a complete one

piece tilt front end made from the original metal parts. We had 44 " Cepecks

on this rig.

The rams i would recommend using on something like this would be early 60's

Chrysler full size,as they seem to have a lot of lift and last

a long time.I rebuilt mine before installing them and only cost around

$30.00 for the kits.

Dennis>>

Man, do great minds think alike, or what? I was thinking about this the last
few weeks, as I've been toying around with the idea og making my front end
tilt, as long as the idea of mounting hydralic rams under the body/frame ala
Indy cars for lifting up my Scout for easy under frame work and tire/axle
removal. You actually gave me some ideas of what parts to scrounge for. Thanx

STeve - 74 Scout II with the infamous 40 gallon tank and possibly a tilt front
end and hydraulic Scout lifting system like the race cars