Valve Stem Seals

Distinguished Reapers and Sowers of IH wisdom,

As many of you know, I'm in the process of rebuilding an IC 392.  In the
many discussions I've had regarding this rebuild, I've been told by several
Digest members to explore using newer umbrella style teflon valve stem
seals.  John S. suggested NAPA was the place to go, so yesterday at lunch I
swung by my local store.

Their catalog from Dana Corp's Perfect Circle Div. lists specific valve
stem seals for most IH engines.  The seals for the IH V8 gasoline engines
is a combination rubber and teflon with a spring.  They require machining
of the tip of the valve guide so they can slip over and stay put.  I
ordered a set along with the cutting tool.

Then last night on Binder Chat, Bill Thebert proceeds to scare the hell out
of me by telling me he remembers a report from some Digest member that
installed some type of aftermarket seal containing teflon, only later to
discover the seals were destroyed somehow by the action of the valve spring
retainer.

So my question to the Digest at large is this...  Can the person who
experienced this problem please step forward and explain exactly what brand
and type of seal was used, what type of preparation to the head was made,
and what happened to the seal?

Has anyone installed Perfect Circle seals and had any problems with them?

I find it hard to believe that Dana would market a premium valve stem seal
for a specific application and it not work correctly.  I'm very curious to
learn the circumstances surrounding this failed seal discovery.

Thanks a bunch,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |   I want to know the TRUTH about our
Conservative Libertarian         |     government's secret operations.
Life Member of the NRA           |
WA Arms Collectors               | That's why I watch the X-Files on FOX!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model