Welded in Cages

Are a major PITA to get out! ;-)

Started tonight by finally pulling the 727 and Dana 20 out of the old
racer.. that went alright after I finally figured out how to get to the
crossmember bolts.. recall that this Scout doesn't have any axles or
springs, so it sits a little low.. ;-)

Then I decided to see about getting the 'cage out.. stick welder
electrode holder and a 10lbs box of cutting rod in hand, I cranked 'er up
to 230amps and went to work..

4+ hrs later, the 'cage is out!  Every time I thought I'd cut enough
away, something *else* got hung up.  I quickly determined it would be
easier to patch the frame later if I wanted to reuse it.. the frame cuts
easier than the big ugly welds that were tying the 'cage to the frame.

That old racer looks pretty sad, lying on it's frame in the dirt, no
front clip at all.. no p/s box, no column, no radiator, no trans, no
motor.. and with the 'cage out, the only thing that's higher than the
frame is the firewall.. that's all that's left of the body.. well, the
trans tunnel is in good shape.. I may cut the trans tunnel out, then chop
up the rest of the sheet metal.

Only thing left to salvage is the gas tank, gas pedal, and any sheet
metal patches I think I want.. not much else left!

That means.. soon I get to drag the OTHER carcass out front and go
through the reversal of all this.. *sigh*  fun!

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'77/78 Scout II Racer - cage, motor, trans, column, p/s box are out.. not
much left!
Yep.. 2am.. must be time for bed..