Re:trashed 727??

If anyone has a really trashed 727, I've got an ultmate tranny
project for you.  I would jerk my 5 speed OD unit out and go back to
the auto for this:

1. Arrange to have a machine shop remove the bellhousing from the
IHC cased 727.

2.  Procure a Dodge truck auto, there are two numbers for them, 518
is one, I forget the other.  One is more heavy duty.  I have an article
in a street rodder mag with the details.  These trannys have the same pan,
 etc., as the 727.  However, the OVERDRIVE is in the extension housing.
Not sure if this complicates matters for you Scout owners with a
married transfer case, but...

3.  Have bellhousing removed from the 518 case, and the IHC bellhousing
mated up.  May also have to use the new torque converter, so the
flex plate may need new holes.

Result:  An overdrive 727.  And a heavy duty one at that, they use these
in the 1 ton units, I believe (that might not be a 518, it is the other
number).
You can't just toss the extension housing off the 518 on the back of the
727 because there are extra fluid passages in the back of the case to
support the OD...unless those extra passages could be added to the IHC
case...
I may have to locate one of these units to investigate further...

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup