Re: Valves, trailer towing, etc.

John,

Desmodromic in the context of valves referrs to having the cam close the
valves instead of relying on a spring to do it.  The only example I ever
heard of was the 300 SLR Mercedes of the 50s & 60s.

I double the 318 is 4 valves per cylinder.  Not only would they have to
redesign the heads completely, but the block would have to be
significantly modified too. I doubt they actually did that.  The real
reason the engines have so much more usefull power is the engine
management system.  The port injection system can maintain the mixture
under all conditions where other systems just can't.  More is also known
about cam design.  When someone says they don't build'em like they used
too.  You can say thank goodness.

I would really like to see an engine like the 345 done with today's
technology.  You might check the specs on the biggest gas V8 in Ford
trucks.  Nice fat torque curve, reasonable gas mileage.  Really pretty
impressive.  Designed to go 1,000,000 miles.  No, I doublt it.  No good
reason to put that durability into the engine.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776