Re: Vac advance?

"John A. Landry" wrote:

> I personally contend (and others will freely disagree if they wish) that
> any IH engine running on regular pump gas set to something like 16 degrees
> BTDC is covering up for a problem!  Either they're distributor advance
> curve is way out of spec, the vacuum advance is shot, or the mechanical
> advance is frozen... or maybe even all three.  It's been my observation
> that very likely your advance curve will be out of spec if you have a chain
> auto parts store rebuilt distributor... like the Cardone brand.  I've had
> my hands on three of these and every single one was not right... usually a
> very delayed and limited mechanical advance curve.

John,
Don't forget about us who live at higher elevations. You can run a lot more
advance at 6000 feet compared to sea level. 16 degrees initial advance on
regular gas is not out of the question in this situation.

Otherwise, I agree....if you're running 16 degrees at sea level and not getting
detonation you might want to check your advance. There may be a lot more
performance hiding in that distributor.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs