Valves, trailer towing, etc.

>Subject: John H, 318 4V, really?
>
>John H,
>
>        Are you sure about the 5.2L 318 having 4 valves?  I really can't
>imagine
>a non-OHC engine with 4 valves.  Maybe it is OHC?  There would be two cams
>then.
> What's the skinny?  Maybe make a desmodromic V8 with 4 valve and like 87
>separate rockers, to open and close each valve.  That means you'd only
>need 236
>feet of drive chain/belt for the assembly.
>

>     -Joel Brodsky

Joel, Steve S. and whomever is still interested in this thread

Quote from Sept. '96 Four Wheeler Magazine: "The V-8's OHV cast-iron
block is fed by sequential fuel injection. That, and four valves per
cylinder, help make the 318 a big winner when it comes to horsepower,
pound for pound. The V-8's  220 rated horsepower might not sound like a
lot for a 4000 pound vehicle, and the V-8 Grand Cherokee is not all that
much faster than with the 4.0 liter Six. But there is a difference-versus
the I-6, the payoff is in greater towing ability, and torque to burn
around town."

In regard to something I was speculating about earlier, 4 Wheeler says,
"..... power now comes on from 1200 to 3000 rpm."

In regard to Joel's doubts as to how this is mechanically accomplished, I
don't know how they did it, and I asked a couple of the mechanics at the
dealership, and never got an answer that really explained it to me. The
new 4.7 engine is overhead cam, and how that works is a lot clearer to
me.

To you IHC'ers who don't give a damn about GC's, my apologies, but this
all relates to an original IHC issue regarding trailer pulling and the
differences between the 345 and 392. Besides that, Joel was challenging
my veracity, or senility, or if I had been drinking, or something.

Joel, I have always thought I had a pretty good vocabulary, but
"desmodromic" is new to me. Whatever it is, I probably have it and will
see the doctor about it next week. However, neither my regular dictionary
nor my medical dictionary show that word. (g) Give me a definition and by
next month, I'll be using it as if I had always known what it means.

John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
"Perhaps more to remember than ever really happened"
Life Member, National Rifle Ass.     California Rifle and Pistol Ass.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group and MacTwain Macintosh Users Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"