Re: Buggy Springs

"Hitchcox, Ken" wrote:

> So, with buggy springs you need a 4 link to locate em?  Why not go to coils
> then? Don't you get more articulation with coils?

Actually, Ken, with the *front* buggy spring or 3/4 eliptical (it has
3/4 of a full circle of spring... the stock suspension is
half-eliptical.. one end is fixed, the axle is attached to the spring,
and the other end is to a shackle.  3/4 eliptical comes from one quarter
from fixed to axle, 1/4 from axle to shackle, and then another 1/4 from
the shackle to the other side's fixed mount (the buggy spring).. I
mention this 'cuz I just figured out the terminology last night. :-))
it's not necessary for a 4-link to locate it.

What I was talking about was a 4-link in the rear, with shackles on both
ends of the springs.  The 4-link eliminates spring wrap, while the
shackles on both ends lets the axle "float" forward and backwards
independent of how compressed the spring is.. allowing the 4-link to
define the axle's arc of travel.

Coils.. hmmm.   I'm not positive they're better or not.. but I think, to
get lots of droop and any compression out of a coil, I would have MORE
body re-work to do in the rear cargo area since I'd need a tall coil
spring for the droop, which means when it ocmpresses it would still be
fairly tall.. which means to get max compression out of it (that is,
bring the tires up close to the body) I would need to build "towers" in
the bed area to let the coils compress up and into.

OTOH, I wouldn't be dragging my shackles or springs on rocks any more..
;-)

Using the leaf springs w/ a 4-link also helps locate the axle
left/right.. with coils, I'd end up running a fifth "link" for a panhard
rod to keep the axle from sliding side to side... granted, the "V"
nature of the 4-link fights this, but it seems all of the coil sprung
4-link'd buggys use a panhard rod to keep things lined up anyhow...

-Tom