Re: tranny swap, hell ride home from NJ

In a brilliant stroke of genius, "Jeff Tarquinio"
<tark_terra@domain.elided> blurted out:

>How can I tell the difference?  It looks just like the Dist cap and rotor on my 77, and I thought it was a prestolite (Gold box), I  could be wrong on that also???

Tark,

It's really simple to tell which distributor you have.  The Holley
distributors have the familiar terminals on the cap which are female... the
plug wires go *into* the cap terminals.  The Prestolite distributors have a
cap with terminals that are male... they look like the terminal on a spark
plug.

The Gold Box electronic ignition you refer in your 77 was originally a
Holley product, *not* a Prestolite product.  The electronic ignition
ignition for a Prestolite distributor is completely self contained within
the distributor.  However, Prestolite did make plain contact point ignition
systems in the same style distributor prior to introduction of the
electronic unit.

But amongst other things, the distributor cap is a quick dead giveaway as
to which type distributor you have.

Regards,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |