Re[2]: Smog checks in Cal.

     Tom,

        Truth be told, the only differences between the two states
     right now are the data being traansmitted to the capital, and the
     referree crap.  here the twice the level gross polluter applies,
     AND they don't let you register until you're in compliance.  You
     are allowed to do the repairs yourself, but you need to fill out
     a page of crap on what got done.  I just get letterhead from my
     Uncle's shop and fill it out.  They always pass after I;m done.
     never had a particularly bad one.  Usually eery IH that he gets
     there, I work on.  '68 Scout w/350 headers, and all, that one was
     hard.  Got it through though.  The secret was a little creative
     exhaust piping, and carb tuning.  It can run like total crap
     (super lean) and pass, then you can adjust the stuff when you
     leave the building.  The fuel caps and all that stuff still
     apply.  The funniest thing I saw was when I went through with the
     T'all last month.  I have dual tanks.  Well, the dweeb take the
     cap off the spare (front right) and tests it.  OK, good.  But he
     totally zones on the other cap.  What's the freakin point?  You
     could get through that by just having the 'test' caps that you
     put on before you go, and the 'easy to use' caps that you put on
     the other 364 days.  A friend went for her '97 Nissan tags.  No
     emissions!  Apparently not until 95 or older do you have to do
     it.  Does this mean I can put a '97 motor in my T'all and I'm
     good?  NOPE!  If i get a 97 crate 345 from IH, still gonna think
     it's a '75, gotta test it.  For the $100, I was actually thinking
     of throwing in a cat, on principal.

        fun to be had by all.  I forgot most people have 'the 49 state
     model'.  What a load.  If you guys get a car from Colorado or
     Utah, you're super screwed.

     -Joel Brodsky
        www.physics.arizona.edu/~jbrodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
                Not much sport, all utility.
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
                1st Place, Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous,
                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals.
         '74 IHC Travelall 150? 2wd 392/tf727 "The 'new' one"
                Factory AM/FM, Cruise, Tilt, AC, Captains Chairs,
                Rblt, Alt, carb, fuel pump, ps pump, water pump, dash,
                seats, rear door, starter, master cyl, what could be left?