Re: Re[2]: Smog checks in Cal.

Joel:

>         Truth be told, the only differences between the two states
>      right now are the data being traansmitted to the capital, and the
>      referree crap.  here the twice the level gross polluter applies,

Yeah, but. Our Air Resources Board, the folks in charge of the program, are
the ones who set the levels that apply to each "class" of vehicles. They
are not necessarily using the same levels that were in effect at the time
of production. In fact, they vary the levels every year to obtain a stated
goal of 15% non-compliance. Otherwise they feel the program is not working.

>      AND they don't let you register until you're in compliance.  You
>      are allowed to do the repairs yourself, but you need to fill out

We can do the repairs ourselves, but the structure of the system is such
that unless your really freindly with your local smog mechanic, your not
going to get any support from them and hence they won't test or help you.

I was sharing my office with an attorney when our program was first put in
to place. Several of his clients owned full service stations or auto repair
shops. Their consensus was that this would be a "money making opportunity
for them", getting to tune up all those cars that failed every year, need
it or not.

>      a page of crap on what got done.  I just get letterhead from my
>      Uncle's shop and fill it out.  They always pass after I;m done.

The last smog tech that told me that Joel, always claimed he needed to
rebuild my 13,000 mile engine in order to get it to pass. :-)

>      never had a particularly bad one.  Usually eery IH that he gets
>      there, I work on.  '68 Scout w/350 headers, and all, that one was

A '68 Scout would have been exempt here. And, that is good because that 350
conversion would more than likely, be illegal. You can do conversions, but
the rule is all the smog controls must be in place and functional from the
later of the body or the engine that's used. And, they mean fuel vapor
controls too.

>      it's a '75, gotta test it.  For the $100, I was actually thinking
>      of throwing in a cat, on principal.

I would consider a cat on my motorhome to help clean it up. It wasn't built
with one. But, guess what? That's an illegal mod here in California. You
can't even add emissions equipment! Fuel injection - forget it. Covert to
diesel (it's exempt)? Nope. Convert to propane? O.K. But must still pass
inspection and have all smog equipment. Electric is the only thing you can
do that makes a radical change. You can't even legally put headers on some
cars here.

>         fun to be had by all.  I forgot most people have 'the 49 state
>      model'.  What a load.  If you guys get a car from Colorado or
>      Utah, you're super screwed.

49 State cars are not allowed into California unless they have at least
15,000 miles on them; you are moving in from another state; ,or, you are
forced to buy one because your car becomes irrepariable in another state
and you buy a 49 state car to get home. You have to pay a $300 smog
mitigation fee and they do have to go through the inspection program. They
are held to a "lesser" standard than the Calfornia approved vehicles.

By the way, just running them lean no longer works. That's the real rub. We
measure HC, CO and NOx now. If you lean it out to get the HCs down, the NOx
will go up. It's a real bitch.

We've even brought diesels into the fold. They measure the particulates and
you have to get them down to a certain level. In order for newer diesels to
be approved in CA, they have to meet HC, CO, NOx and particulate standards.
That is why you won't find the new GM 6.5 l turbodiesels for sale here.
Lots of times, the manufacturers will actually take a given engine option
out of the CA market rather than jump through all the hoops it would take
to certify that engine/model combo will meet the States standards for 5
years or 50,000 miles. Seems like the Fed EPA rules should supercede those
of the state.

Tom H.