g8 fasteners

Terry,

If this was a G8 bolt that was purchased at the local hardware store, I would
be very suspicious that it is actually a grade 8 bolt. Counterfeit hardware is
a huge problem for industry. Even if it was installed from at the factory, it
could well have been counterfeit.

I have never trusted hardware store fasteners and try to avoid them. I get
most of my hardware from industrial supply houses, either locally, or from
McMaster-Carr.

Also, if that bolt was installed from the factory that way, it is not
surprising that it failed. It sounds like it was loaded in single shear, a
situation for which that type of fastener was never designed. Better options
would be to distribute the load across the faster in a double shear
application, or to have a hardened pin custom made to fit _tightly_ in the
holes. What about using a larger rod end bearing and moving up to 3/8" hardware

Jeff Taylor