Hydraluic clutch ???

First let me apologize for asking a non ih specific question, but y'all are
the best reference set I've found, and it could apply to an IH. My Jeep has
a CNC hydraulic clutch set up in it, the MC attaches to the pedal via a
5/16 bolt through a "heim joint". this has worked fine for a while but
yesterday the bolt sheared off at the pedal interface. It sheared cleanly
with no evidence of deformation or thread damage. I need to replace the
bolt obviously and picked up some grade 5 and grade 8 to put in there, the
one that sheared was a grade 8. So my question is, is this an application
where a softer bolt (grade5) works better than a harder (gr 8) one, or do I
need to look into other ways to connect the two parts together? If the
latter, suggestions would be nice. I'm thinking that maybe a hitch pin with
a hair clip instead of a bolt, but that wouldn't be as rigid an assembly.
any thoughts or suggestions will be greatfully accepted, I'm glad it failed
in the parking lot where I just jumped a curb rather than at a red light
where I might jump a car.

TIA

Terry  Rust

"Man  is always and everywhere a blight on the landscape"
John Muir, founder of the Sierra Club