Re: torqueflight 727

Howard:

> In this vein, how similar do you think one behind a Chrysler Slant Six is
> to the one behind a 426 Hemi?

Touche'!

I've often wondered about this myself, only in relation to IH TFs I4 vs V8.

And you know what? At the cost to IH of buying them in volume from whomever
they had build them or, even if the built them themselves, I bet they are
more similar than different. In cost accounting (something I must do for a
living) one finds that many times, it's cheaper to plan for the highest (or
lowest when appropriate) need on a production line, and make every unit fit
that minimum, than it is to build several versions on the line, inventory
and track them.

Thus, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the IH 727's were speced for
the largest torque engine they were to be used with 392/401? and that same
tranny was used for the 4 cyl. But then again, you would know better than I
and you did point out some valve body differences, etc. already.

Tom H.