Re: Improved Cooling

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998 23:47:57 -0600 "John Stricker" <jstricke@domain.elided>
writes:

>When you find this out, let us know.  I have no improved cooling models
>compare it too.  For those of you that DO run IC engines, Do they run
any
>cooler?  With a properly cleaned and functioning cooling system I've
really
>never had an overheating problem with an IHC 304/345/392.  I also
haven't
>had any head cracking problems or anything like that (similar to the GM
6.2
>diesel which has "0" tolerance for overheating).
>
>I have noticed that the 392 non IC engines tend to have a greater amount
of
>taper than I would expect in a similar 350 Chevy for example.  Was the
>cooling situation that IH was trying to fix a block overheating problem?
>:

The improved cooling came along early in my IH career and I'm not real
familiar with all the details.  It was implemented to cure a piston
scoring problem that was occurring in the Loadstar type trucks that would
go out and run down the highway at full throttle and full RPM's for
extended periods of time.  I don't think the problem occurred too often
in Travelalls and pickups that weren't worked as hard.  A better name
would be "Improved Circulation", but that wouldn't sell as well.

Overheating wasn't the problem and I doubt if it would make any
difference in operating temperatures by itself as the same amount of
water would be circulated through the same radiator, which would really
determine the operating temperature.  All the improved circulation did
was to eliminate hot spots in certain areas of the block that were
causing the piston scoring.

While there's no reason not to have the IC version, I probably wouldn't
go so far as pulling out a good non-IC engine in order to have one in a
pickup or Travelall.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]