Re:Cost to rebuild IH engines

>Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 04:09:59 -0500
>From: Doug Rasmussen <DougRasmussen@domain.elided>
>Subject: Cost to rebuild IH engines

>After seeing the costs for parts and machine work on the DIY rebuilds
>I'm  wondering if it isn't a better idea to have a good shop do the
whole job.
>The quote I got from Ewing Engines in Auburn, Wa (near Stan's Headers)
> was less than some of you guys paid and you still had to assemble it.

>  Plus I could walk out of the shop with a warranted engine.  =
>
>So what's the advantage to doing it yourself?  Masochism?  A learning
>experience?
>
>Doug

Doug,

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand! :-)

I guess it's some of all those things, but for me, it was mostly for the
learning experience.  I've always had a good idea of how an engine
worked, but not to the extent that I do now.  There is no better way to
really understand how something works than to build it yourself.

Yes, I could have purchased a prebuilt motor or paid someone else to
build it, but the cost would have been very high if I paid for all the
extra work I put into my assembly.  I know that every ring, every piston,
every bearing, every surface that can be measured was and is within
speck.  I found three places during my assembly that would have caused
problems with my engine, areas that a "pro" worked on.  One piston was
placed backwards on the rod; a ring grove in a piston was to narrow for
the ring (it would have bound up the ring when the engine warmed up); and
umbrella seals were placed on the exhaust valves and shouldn't have been.
 I'm no pro, but I was willing to spend the extra time to check and
double check every thing during the assembly.

As for price, yes my costs are close to what a freight motor would run,
but look at the difference in the two motors.  What would it cost for
someone to build you a motor with Hypereutectic pistons, premium rings,
upgraded cam and valve components, ported heads, balanced engine,
blueprinted type measurements, etc... The porting alone took two full
days of work.  Multiply that times a shop's hourly rate, and you can see
where the price is headed.

As to Masochism, well I'd call it pride.  When I look at my engine, I
can't help but to feel a sense of personal accomplishment.  It would be
nice to have a warranty, but if something goes wrong, I know who to
blame.  And hay, if it does, at least now I know how to fix it.

All I did was read a few books, ask LOTS of questions, and follow
directions.  It wasn't as tough as I thought it would be.

Take care,
Mike Ryan
1977 Scout II, 304 (soon ported 345), automatic, Dana 300, 3.54 gears,
4" superlift springs, 1.25" body lift, 33 X 12.5 Swamper TSL Radials

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]