Gaskets and sealer.

Mark,

        I still maintain that a factory gasket on a clean surface with a light
coating of Ultra Copper is the best way to go.  Ultra Copper (I know I talk
about it alot) has copper composites IN THE SILICONE to help it maintain
integrity under heat, and eliminate some of the HUGE difference in cooling
charateristics between a virgin silicone (blue, clear, black) and a metal.
Basically I've used this stuff on everything I have had to fix for about the
last 12 years.  motorcycles, cars, RC stuff, heck I've even used it as caulk
though it got kinda expensive.

        I needed to make an air filter for a '64 Sears Allstate (Vespa
Sportique) 125 cc.  Well, I cut the aluminum top and bottom of the filter, then
wrapped stainless window screen around the two aluminum pieces and glued/bonded
the screen to the plates with: You guessed it, Ultra Copper.  This is a filter
that is constantly under a fuel spray (2-stroke rotary valve engines with no
reeds tend to sputter when yam the throttle open).  The instructions for the
sealer say not to use in a gas environment like a fuel tap, but this air filter
still works, and beats the pants off the nylon screen that was originally
equipped.  I really have no stock in this company, just an amazed and satisfied
customer.  If you all start buying, I s'pose I should go buy some stock, huh?

        For the water outlet, I get the paper gaskets ($0.85 at any local store,
part number 85749, my parents' ZIP code).  I apply a generous, but, not
excessive coating of ultra copper, and replace per service manual/common sense.
Never had it leak.  Same goes for the water pump.  Neat thing is that when you
need to remove it, you only need to peel off the bond between ultra copper and
the gasket, not the impregnated paper gasket and the rusty cast iron flanges.
That's another plus about using a silicone sealant with a paper gasket.  You
eliminate the rust that grows from the water in the paper.

        Can't say enough, somebody stop me!  Just did a slew of stuff on my BMW
Moto with the stuff.  Works like a freakin charm!

        -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
                Not much sport, all utility.
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
                1st Place, Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous,
                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals.
         '74 IHC Travelall 150? 2wd 392/tf727 "The 'new' one"
                Factory AM/FM, Cruise, Tilt, AC, Captains Chairs,
                Rblt, Alt, carb, fuel pump, ps pump, water pump, dash,
                seats, rear door, starter, master cyl, what could be left?