Re:fibergalss quarters 2cents

Yank wrote:
<Subject: Fiberglass Rear Quarters

IH All,
I installed the Howerton fiberglass rear quarter panels on my Scout II
about 8 months ago. John's description of fit and finish of the product,
as
well as installation in on the money. I am very pleased with the
results.
It took longer to install the fenders than the 1 day hours I read it
should
take, but the body man guy and I spent a lot of time rust proofing, we
installed probably more rivets than were needed, and like John, we used
bondo to even up the edges at the doors and rear tailgate. Primer and
International winter white paint applied very well. I have been told
that
darker colors may not match up as well between the metal and fiberglass,
with the fiberglass being a little lighter color.
You will not be required to use the bed rail covers. Mine were rusted
pretty badly. The top will cover everything anyway. If I get a soft top
in
the future, I will have some fabricated.
Yank
>end snip

I too have completed the install and painting of rear fibergalss
quarters on my Traveler.  I too got mine from John, I assume these are
Howerton.  They were the one piece type that eliminated the rear
taillight panel seam.   I was not impressed with the quality of the
glass work.  Both parts were not consistent with the fit/finish.  The
right side was thinner at the flanges and fit better than the left.  I
was very picky about the fit and spent time trimming and flanging metal
around the tailgate.  I used a good quality body sealant and rivets for
attachment.  I have about 30 hours into it.   Has anyone installed the 2
piece rear quarters that AT Scouts and others sell???  I anticipate the
extra $100 per part would be worth it for the better fit???

My 2 CENTS...

Rob Marks N W Binders.