Re: HELP!!! (Part 2)

You said it is rock steady at 5deg. Does the timing mark move as you rev the
motor? Double check to make sure the mechanical advance didn't get a spring
knocked off while putting on the points. A little spring rattling around in
the cap will casue all kinds of fun along with a non-functional/random
mechanical advance. Been there. DOH!

Another possibility.

Become one with what you remember the Scout sounding like before you did
these changes. You could have knocked a vaccum line off. The line to the
break booster? It's easy to do while swearing at cyl#7. Or a crack in the
line. You might be going super lean at cruise if you were already lean to
start with.

How about not using that handy little rubber piece in your plug wrench? If
you get off center on wrenching, you'll crack the plug's insulator. Pretty
easy to do on cyls #1,#3,#7 and #8. Those plugs put you at some pretty funy
angles. Esp #1 and #3 due to the PS pump and bracket.

The ballast resistor sits right on the coil bracket in its stock location.
That's the ceramic rectangular thing near the coil. Easy to break if you
push on it too hard. If you cracked it, `you can get something like what you
explain if the winding in the resistor is cracked and the wires at the break
are only touching lightly. at higher RPM, the thing vibrates enough to loose
contact for long enough to stumble the ignition. Turn the thing over and
look to see if the cement that holds the winding in place is cracked up or
you see any breaks.

Or possibly your coil went tits up at an inoportune moment.