Starter Questions

Tom, et. al:

So I pushed  my new Wagonmaster ('74, 392, AT, 2WD) out of the garage
that has been its home for the last two years yesterday, and am to tow
it home today.  I got it started, but it died right away-which is okay,
since it hasn't really been run for a while.  But immediately after this
I tried to restart it and it would not even kick over.
I had the same problem last weekend when I was playing with it, but that
was after I had tried it several times and after it I had actually kept
it running for about ten minutes.  I assumed that this was a
heat-related problem.  Now I think that it probably is not.  What does
this sound like to you guys?  When the key is on, juice does flow, as
the "acc" lights come on, and I can use a little light bulb tester all
the way down to the starter.  The wires to the starter are poorly
aligned, and I cannot get a screwdriver in there to try to jump the
starter and see if it will go.  When I get the thing home today I will
work on that.
Anyway, does this still sound like a starter problem?  I have been told
already that it is probably not a Gold Box thing, but want to know where
to look.  It doesn't click or make any noise at all except for an intial
click right when I turn the key, then nothing.
Any ideas?  I will try to throw one of my other starters in it and see
if that helps or not when I get it home, but just let me know if you
guys think I am barking up the right tree.

Thanks!

Michael