Power to the coil and to the people!

>From: "Jeff Tarquinio" <tark_terra@domain.elided>
>Subject: Gold box
>
>This will burn your coil out quicker than the gold box, BTDT.
>- ---
>Layda,
>Tark
>'77 Terra 345/T19/D20
>   Survivor of '98 Scout Nationals
>
>"This bottom lines as: if you have a gold box don't leave your key on in
>the run position when not running.
>
>John H."

Hmmmm, Tark,
With the Gold Box, is there power flowing through the coil when the
distributor isn't rotating to send a signal?  With a non electronic
distributor that has the points closed, the coil is getting constant
power, but I thought with the electronics only the Gold Box would be
powered up. ?????????????
John