Speedometer Woes!

IH all,
This weekend I decided to tack the &*%$##@# speedometer problem.  I had
purchased a replacement speedometer cable kit from the auto parts store,
this comes with a generic cable, and a tip that you insert a small plastic
plug in and melt to lock it on.  the cable was a cut to length type.  I
pulled the old speedometer cable out and feed the new one through the sleeve
and out the dash.  This was a real chore!  So I get it out at the dash, and
I had already marked it for length against the old cable, and I test fit the
new end and plastic piece.  DOH!  Dropped it behind the dash.  I find the
end and fish it out, then have to feel around back there to find the plastic
insert (this thing is tiny (about the size of a bb, maybe smaller), I had
grim back there bigger than this piece).  I finally find it and fish it back
out.  ok, I won't do that again, so I get ready to add some heat to this
puppy and get this over with.  Put the plastic stub in the end piece, and
place over the cable, and try to hold everything together, while I get the
little micro torch in position.  Put the flame to the end and . . . . . . .
the end starts melting!  Apparently, the end is plastic!  I assumed it
was/would be metal.  So now I have trashed the end and have to find another,
or buy the whole kit again for this end.   Aaaahhhhhhhhhhh!  Well, back to
the auto store this evening for the solution.  Maybe somebody will get
something out of this post and not make the same mistake I did.

Epp
btw, is anyone else having trouble with the mail sender on my web page?  I
have responded to all the mail I have received, but this weekend I got in
contact with someone who had trouble with my mailer.  Why does this happen?
Any web gurus out there?