Re: My engine problems (post to keep Dan N happy)

Dan F,

We also had problems with our '65 Model 80 with a 4-152 running rough. Here's
the history:
After a carb rebuild and fuel pump replacement, the engine was still running
rough (missing and sounding like it was running on 2 or 3 cylinders). We
played with the timing (specs call for 0 degrees BTDC) and carb adjustment but
still couldn't get it to run good.
Finally decided to replace the spark plugs and it ran much better!
You really do need to have a timing light in order to set your timing. You can
do it by trial and error but it's a lot easier with a light. Another thing to
check is the dwell angle on the points (and condition of the points
themselves). Pitted or mis-gapped points can cause the engine to run badly,
too.
Hope this helps.

Roy Ireland
'65 Scout 80