EGR valve

I tried to purchase an EGR valve at Autozone today to put on the engine
I'm building, and they said they didn't list them.  A preteen tried to
match the one I brought in with pictures in a book, and he said the
closest thing he saw was ~$100, special order. (ouch)  I was looking for
a new one because I didn't know if the old one I have works, (it also
looks ugly on my nice new shiny engine).  Should I still try to replace
it or just slap it on and not worry about it?

How does an EGR valve work?

Is there a way to test them?

Anyone have part #s or prices?

Mike Ryan
1977 Scout II, 304 (soon ported 345), automatic, Dana 300, 3.54 gears, 4"
Superlift springs, 1.25" body lift, 33 X 12.5 Swamper TSL Radials

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]