Re: Traveler rear gate?

When the truth serum kicked in, "Kurt Musgrave" <rvar@domain.elided> blurted
out...

>I have an '80 Terra and an '80 Scout but the Traveler was new to me.  What
>else could you guys tell me to look for as far as the top (places where they
>crack etc.).  This one seems in pretty good shape, has normal Scout rust
>spots etc. but might be a nice addition to my collection of '80s.

Kurt,

Sounds like the lift gate is simply out of alignment with the pins.  The
hinges can be loosened and adjusted from inside the hard top so that the lift
gate can move side-to-side and up-and-down.  The strike pins likewise can be
moved up and down, fore and aft.  Normally the lift gate is first adjusted by
the hinges so that it sits centered in the tail opening (to properly contact
the gasket), and then the strike pins are adjusted so that it latches and
closes properly.  The latch on the lift gate has two locking positions... a
sort of pre-locking position and then a final locking position.  So you have
to make sure the strike pin is adjusted to allow the lift gate to *fully*
latch and stay secure.

Things to watch out for:

Rotting and rusty body parts along the lower rear support... in the bottom
corners under the body.  This is the part that sits on the body mounts just
above the rear frame cross piece.  Rot in these corners causes the rear body
corners to sag, which in turn causes the hard top to sag.  This then causes
the lift gate to sage either on one side or both and throws it out of
alignment.  The sag can become severe enough to prevent the lift gate from
centering in the rear tail opening.  My Traveler has this on one corner and
it's *almost* at it's limit for alignment correction.  I plan to replace the
rear support to correct the problem when I replace the rear quarter panels
(with Howteron fiberglass ones) hopefully soon!

Regards,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)