Re: How do I ID my transmission

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998 00:23:55 -0800 "Charlie & Jen" <gandalf@domain.elided>
writes:
>Howdy,
>	I want to find out what type of tranny is in my IHC. It's a 1972

>1210 T'all 4x4 w/ a 392 & a/t. I believe it to be the stock tranny. Is
>so what would it be?
>	Also while I have your attention. A plate on the front quarter
>panels of my truck says 1210 all wheel drive. Does this indicate
>that it at one time had full time 4wd w/ shifting only from the inside?
>Right now it has a pair of Warn manual hubs. I prefer the present
>setup but was curious of it's past.
>	Thanks in advance.
>		Charlie

Use of the Chrysler automatic transmission started with the 1973 models.
Prior to this, the automatic was a Borg Warner Model 11, IH code 13039 or
13049.

What is 4WD if not all wheel drive?  Prior to the introduction of the AMC
Eagle and Subaru 4WD cars in the late-70s, for which the term all wheel
drive was adopted to distinguish them from 4WD on/off-road vehicles, any
4WD was often called all wheel drive.  IH put the AWD plate on 4WD models
from about 1967 until the early 70s.  IH never offered a full-time 4WD
system in their trucks;a system without locking hubs is still part-time
unless it has a center differential and no 2WD position.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]