Traveler rear gate?

I went to look at an '80 Traveler today.  I have a couple questions about
the rear lift gate.  I noticed it doesn't work very well.  When you go to
close it the latches on the gate miss the pins. (side to side is all right)
When you lift on the gate as if to bend it in the center you can get it to
close.  The gate doesn't seem to be cracked at all, but it seems to give in
the center when you lift on it to get it closed.    The hinges at the top
are nice and tight.  Seems to seal up pretty good when it is closed.
Wondered what you guys could tell me.
I have an '80 Terra and an '80 Scout but the Traveler was new to me.  What
else could you guys tell me to look for as far as the top (places where they
crack etc.).  This one seems in pretty good shape, has normal Scout rust
spots etc. but might be a nice addition to my collection of '80s.

Kurt.