Re: Pulsing Alternator (Ithought it was just me)

I had the exact same problem of the front headlights pulsing on my 1979
Scout so I figured it was the alternator(regulator) malfunctioning.  I
went to the parts store and picked up a rebuilt alt.  Same problem.
Returned that alt. figuring it was bad also.  Same problem.  I give up
and go to a local auto electric shop to have them find the problem.

They tell me that IH's are notorious for having bad wiring and that the
problem is between the alt. and main fuse block(Can you say "bulkhead
connector" boys and girls?)  So they wire a direct line to the battery
from my alt. and guess what.. no pulsing.  But.. now my alt. gauge
doesn't work.

I decided to rewire the 10 ga. charging circuit so what I did was took
hold of the metal contacts on the bulkhead connector(after disconnecting
the wires on both sides) and ripped them out of the connector socket.
This left two holes that I pushed new 10 Ga. wires through.  A little
bit of silicone caulk to seal up the holes and connecting the wires now
gives me a working alt.(battery charging) gauge and also NO pulsing
lights.

Pretty easy fix that solved my problem so it may work for some of you.

Jim G.
1979 Scout II

BTW I am currently running 80/100W H4 bulbs in some aftermarket
headlights and still no pulsing with great light output.  HTH